Blog Love Portfolio Site Sponsor Me Parent Tips Vegan Stuff Image Map

Monday, February 27, 2012

Parenting and Censorship


One of the hardest things for me as a parent is trying not to impose my likes and dislikes onto my children. Just because I kind of hate baseball, doesn't mean I want my children to hate baseball.

I don't want mini-me's. I want to discover my kids' personalities along with them.

I do find myself from time to time (and a lot of parents do this - don't pretend you don't), when talking to the kids and giving them a choice between two items, putting a positive inflection on what I want them to choose, and a negative tone on what I wouldn't choose.
i.e. Would you like flatbread pizza for lunch ( smiley face )? Or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ( frowny face )?
i.e. #2 Do you want to wear this pink dress ( smiley face )? Or this mermaid t-shirt ( frowny face )?
NOTE: That mermaid t-shirt that used to be her all time favorite but now is getting raggedy, kind of short and has a few unsightly stains...
I'm working on that. Christopher catches me all the time.

I like to keep an open policy on shows, movies and books my children watch/read (as long as it's age appropriate and doesn't give them nightmares).  I've encouraged things they seem to get into and find it exciting to discover new things and rediscover old things from my childhood as well.

For example, we watched Ponyo a couple years back, and since then they've been into many Studio Ghibli films and even some (age appropriate, of course) anime on Netflix. I would have never suggested watching Princess Tutu before... even Pokemon is out of my range of comprehension. But Princess Tutu was very intriguing, a beautiful story and inspired many afternoons of dancing around and dramatics involving ducks.

But, I've found lately, I've had to draw the line on a few shows. We don't watch much TV and what we do watch is usually something they've found streaming on Netflix. One that sticks out is Bratz shows/movies. I've even only caught short snippets of this show and decided this is something I definitely don't want my kids watching. Those Bratz girls on the show really are brats and so superficial. I don't want my sweet little children acting like that.

Great, now I sound like one of those Moms...

And then yesterday, Christopher mentioned something about Pucca (another one of their lately favorite shows to watch) portraying Americans in a negative light. This somehow didn't bother me much, but it did him.

I'm wondering, am I... are we turning into those kinds of parents? The parents that censor their children from the really cool and popular things? Is this the beginnings of us turning our children into social outcasts?

Please leave me your feedback. 
I'd love to know where other parents draw the line in their censorship. 
 
<3, Tabi :D
 
P.S.  Don't forget to vote for me on Top Baby Blogs!! Please click on the banner below to vote for me. It only takes a second, I swear. Thanks so much. :) 
 
Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs



2 comments:

  1. I hate, HATE character shirts (lunchboxes, backpacks, etc.) for my kids. I would much rather buy them a shirt (or other product) with a silly generic-looking character than a Mickey Mouse, Elmo, or Super Mario shirt. Does that count as censoring?

    I find myself doing the same thing as you do when giving Logan the choice between two things. Sometimes I'll say "you would rather have (insert object here) than (insert another object here), wouldn't you?" It usually works out to my favor, but since he's started school I've noticed him having his own opinion more and more. Sometimes it makes me want to shelter him even more because I see how easily swayed he can be by his friends, and that's scary!

    As far as TV shows go, he wants to watch Pokemon but I just don't get it, so we usually watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or even GI Joe or He-Man on Netflix. Sometimes I feel like I'm not letting him keep up with the "cool stuff", but I have it worked out in my brain that shows from when we were kids are much more wholesome than shows now, even if they are about fighting mutant turtles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always had a rule about NO character shoes!!! And I thought I was strict. ;)

      Delete

I love feedback, thanks so much for sharing.

Have an awesome day.

xo, Tabi :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...